30 August 2010

A DC State of Commonwealth

18 years in a Commonwealth, 4 years in a District, pět měsíců v kraji, and now back to a Commonwealth. Overall, the political distinctions haven't been overwhelmingly different, but the social dimensions and conventions of each locale were at times very disparate from each other. Entertainment options, transit options, and even the ideologies and preferences of those who surrounded me varied from place to place, and in each iteration I sought to develop my own beliefs in reaction to what I saw and experienced in the world around me. From these experiences stems this site, an attempt to provide a glimpse of insight into the mind of a law student trying desperately to obtain a release from the academic rigors of the 19th consecutive year of education.


I don't promise exquisitely constructed prose, novel intellectual insights, or even a regular posting schedule. It's best to under-promise and over-deliver in the hope that some of what I have to say will appeal to my audience of three three high-school students who mistakenly stumble across this blog in an attempt to find sources for their civics class paper on DC voting rights or the UK's relationship with its post-colonial former holdings. What I do hope to accomplish is to give myself a chance to engage in some non-educational writing and to improve my style and commentary on a number of issues that appeal to me. Additionally, this is a way for me to share interesting events/ideas/concepts with others, and to hopefully educate, entertain, and engage others, much in the way a combination of Lifehacker, TBD, and The Awesomer would function (albeit on a much less grandiose scale).


As for the name of the blog, I found it fitting for a number of reasons, not the least of which was my transition from living within DC in the heart of Georgetown to the quasi-suburban fringes of the DC metro area in Northern Virginia. Given that this move is one of less than four miles, the relatively small changes in the geographic location belie a much greater reorganization of the social and community structure. I hope to address some of my encounters in the course of these next couple years, and to bring my unique insights to the public light.


Also, given the political tensions over DC statehood and the constant struggle to obtain voting rights, I thought as a secondary focus derived from the title of this site some political contemplation might make its way into my posts, though to what extent I'll engage in commentary still remains to be seen. Overall, my main purpose is to lend voice to thought for both self-reflection and the enjoyment of others. Hopefully my insights will be useful, thought-provoking, and even mildly amusing, but if you find them to be to the contrary, I won't judge you for your poor taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment